Songhwa Hanbok #1

Jeogori(저고리), Chima(치마), and what to wear


Today I would like to briefly show you some random Hanbok pictures I took recently.

1. Jeogori (저고리)

Jeogori (저고리) is the basic upper garment of Hanbok. It is worn by both men and women, and Koreans use various types of fabric and a wide variety of colours to make jeogori.
For more information, please refer to the wikipedia page on jeogori here.

Songhwa by Jeong, 2014 S/S collection. Andongpo (안동포) Jeogori (저고리)
This gorgeous jeogori is one of my favorites!
I bought this one from Songhwa Hanbok, a luxury handcrafted hanbok brand located in Insadong.



The picture on the left shows me in Songhwa hanbok shop - look at all those colourful, amazing Jeogories! 

Since Songhwa Hanbok is the brand that made me fall in love with Hanbok, I will definitely write more about Songhwa Hanbok in the future, but in the meantime, you may find more images of Songhwa hanbok at Songhwa instagram account below:


2. Hanbok Chima (치마)

Chima(치마) usually means dress or skirt in Korean. In Hanbok terms, Chima is a type of skirt worn with the Jeogori. Again, like creative people anywhere else around the world, Koreans make all sorts and colours of Hanbok Chima. My ancestors seemed to have been very fond of Jogakbo(조각보) (a type of traditional Korean patchwork), just like many people in the West like quilting. 

Here is my favourite Chima, also from Songhwa Hanbok:

Songhwa by Jeong 2015 S/S Collection. Jogakbo(조각보) Moshi(모시) waist skirt.
The width of the Chima is usually very wide, which is very different from Kimono of Japan or Qipao of China. Although I also like Qipao and Kimono, Chima gives me more leg-space and allows me to walk in wide steps. 


A Tiny Tip for choosing what to wear

Whenever you are considering buying a new Jeogori or Chima, it is necessary to think about how they would match - just like any other clothes on earth! I usually look at the balance of different colours. If the Jeogori is plain or single-coloured, I would pick a colourful, patchworked Chima to even the plainness out. When I want to wear my Andongpo Jeogori, the one I introduced above, I would choose to wear a plain single-coloured skirt, most likely a red one, to match the sleeves of the Jeogori. 


1 comment:

Powered by Blogger.